- Abstain from sex or stick to one partner.
- Use a condom correctly every time you have sex.
- Limit your number of sexual partners.
- Get tested and treated for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and insist that your partner do too.
- Avoid injecting drugs.
- If you are a man, consider medical male circumcision (link is external) as it decreases the likelihood of infection.
- If you suspect that you might have HIV, visit a clinic (link is external) for testing as soon as possible.
You cannot get HIV by being around people who are HIV positive or from a mosquito bite.