What can we do to avoid choking and suffocating in babies and small children?
Modified on: Tue, 20 Dec, 2022 at 12:39 PM
- Ensure children’s play areas and sleep areas are free of small objects e.g., buttons, nuts, coins and pins.
- Make sure children don’t choke on peanuts, small bones and seeds.
- Always watch infants and toddlers at mealtimes and cut their food into small pieces to reduce the risk of choking
- Keep plastic bags away from children – if a child puts a bag over his head he could suffocate and stop breathing. Balloons are like big plastic bags to be careful of these too.
- Do not let infants sleep with a big pillow.
- Do not allow very young children to play with ropes, string or cords
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.