If you qualify to apply for the Child Support Grant, you need to visit the closest SASSA office. You do not have to pay anything, but you do need to bring the following documents: 

  • Your IDs for both mum and dad. 
  • Proof of marital status (marriage certificate, divorce order, death certificate if your wife/partner has died);
  • Proof of income, and your wife/partner’s income. 
  • If you do not have a bank account or are unemployed you need to make a sworn statement at your local police station. 
  • If the grant is for your child, you need your child’s birth certificate. 


Your application form will be completed in the presence of an officer from SASSA. When your application is completed, you will be given a receipt that you need to keep as it is your only proof of application.