Diarrhoea and vomiting are common in adults. They're often caused by a stomach bug and should stop in a few days. The advice is the same if you have both diarrhoea and vomiting or one of the two.
- Stay at home and get plenty of rest
- Drink lots of fluids, such as water – take small sips if you feel sick
- Eat when you feel able to – you do not need to eat or avoid any specific foods
- Take paracetamol if you're in discomfort
- Do not have juice or fizzy drinks - they can make it worse
⚠️ If you have had diarrhoea for more than seven days or have been vomiting for more than two days, go to your clinic.